Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bath Tub War Games

Was I the only child to use toiletries as toy soldiers in the bath? In my childhood, they had names, ranks and a personal history. Some couldn't swim and they would drown. The Monitor and the Merrimack fought in the suds for the river. My mother would wonder why I spent so much time in the tub. I suppose it would of been easier to bring my real toy soldiers in the bath, but where's the imagination in that. I also recall scaring myself by imaging faces hidden in the knotty pine of the bathroom door. That was earlier. It got painted later, which made it a whole lot easier to go in there.

Robert Louis Stevenson took his to Samoa with him and had them set up in a special little barn where he could act out famous European battles.
Kinda looks like it would be more fun. One of the things I was gonna do when I grew up was build a miniature replica of Cape Canaveral in my back yard with real working model rockets and one of those huge rolling launch pads (in miniature, of course) that would roll out the Saturn 5 out of its bunker for launching the Apollo missions. We had a Museum of Miniatures here in LA when the kids were little. It was an impressive collection, but they couldn't keep their doors open.
Ah well:

No comments: