Monday, July 19, 2010

What We Keep


Our poor children inherit our vices. I was home for five years and had a business going where I bought paperback books from thrift stores and garage sales and sold them mail order to a people who subscribed to my used paperback book of the month club. It was a good business plan and I broke even the first year, but didn't have any more capital to move forward. At one point I had stacks and stacks of paperback books in my studio. To get them I had to hit the thrift stores regular. My littlest was still home and then home half a day from kindergarten. She didn't approve of me spending a half hour a stop in the afternoon. I discovered I could bribe her. Stuffed animals in thrift stores were 25 cents. So she got to choose one for each stop. This was what her bedroom looked like after a year. She was a connoisseur. She had them all cataloged and named. She wrote a poem later about being mad and hiding in her bed behind her wall of stuffed animals. She still has some, but said she's not taking one to to college. I will forever remember that she brought two of them to me at the counter, one of them was filthy, with bad black grease stains on it and I didn't want to spend 25 cents on it and she cried and the guy at the corner gave it to her for free. It had a turn in the spa (the washing machine and came out clean- I was greatly surprised) I have not quite so many horses in my collection and the thousands of paperback boxes are gine, but I have easily this many books.

No comments: