Friday, July 23, 2010

BS from my past

My very short career in the Boy Scouts as a kid was very fond memories of racing one of these. You would go out camping in a tent in the snow and then the next day there would be several of these sleds available and your patrol (acting as driver and dogs) would race the other patrols for the best time over a track.
Kids in the snow got this, it didn't bother us. I delivered newspapers through 4 foot high snowdrifts.
Sadly, my career in the Scouts ended quickly. The Troop disbanded, because none of the fathers would volunteer to help with anything. Mine included. My father's entire assistance to my childhood could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Not me. Except for a year or so when I was working two jobs, I've seen it all. There's something to be said for being a Southern California Scout.
Been out to Catalina Island three times for summer Scouting. Got to snorkel on deserted beaches, go for a mile swim in life jacket and snorkel gear through a jungle of seaweed to visit partially submerged caves, woke up to being sniffed by buffaloes, got to try scuba. (Got to throw up off the side of the canoe on the back side of the island- my claim to fame: I was the last one)

No comments: