Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dog Advice

I have a Bear Child that is the grace of Humanity. He asked, Well, What do think of professionals that work 60 hour weeks? (His boss was being paid well, but he discovered he was working his ass off.) I explained that I've done both. I worked 60 hour weeks because I had to, and didn't love it. I have worked my  fair share and that was ok. I've worked 60 hour weeks at the real world job, because I was into it and that was fine. (But the real truth is: I've been working 80 hour weeks my whole life: I work and then come home and write novels and paint and now, play the banjo. I write a blog, I take pictures, I ride my bike, I do Yoga, I read every chance I get. I do home repair. I take children wherever they want to go. I wander LA and haunt thrift stores looking for forgotten treasures. I communicate to my friends. I try to sell my latest finished project to publishers and agents. And I look for down time (believe it or not) - hours in front of the TV- futzing on the computer.

I've been blessed with a wonderful wife- and a long long time of realizing that most folks don't do this.

I completely understand dogs. Mine and I know what we need to do.

No comments: