Friday, July 2, 2010

Another Odd Rejection

 She has friends, though I'm not in that number.
(I'm polite these days- she at least didn't reject it on the basis of my postmark)
(Hmm, USC.Edu  might not be working for me)

Ms. Posner,

I didn't find any instructions about how you wanted queries presented. I assumed the short query letter was acceptable and that, if you were interested, you would ask for more and an outline. The link was included and intended as a convenience. I was rejected a few months ago because the book 'might be boring.' I'll add you to that pile. The journal structure is similar to Dracula's, which I used as a model.

Dan McNay

Marcy Posner wrote:
Dear Dan,
Thank you for your query. Unfortunately I just don’t love stories told in journal entries. Also your job is to make me want to read this. Asking me to go to your website instead of providing the reading material in your email does not seem the best way to accomplish your task. Others will I am sure feel differently and I wish you the best of luck with this,
Marcy Posner


From: Dan McNay [mailto:mcnay@mosis.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:53 PM
To: marcy@foliolit.com
Subject: Query for my novel "The Truth About Treasure Island"

Dear Ms. Posner,

I've become aware you from the ads for the upcoming Historical Fiction Conference. Your experience and background are quite impressive. I'd like to submit my query for your consideration. The novel is completed and a year of workshops with it has made me sure its a good read. A recent comment from a professional editor that I know, was that she fell in love with my Joe Strong.

Thanks for your time


Query for “The Truth About Treasure Island” by Dan McNay

No comments: