Monday, February 22, 2010

Those were the days

My second ride hitchhiking took me down through southern Indiana past Louisville and into Kentucky. The driver looked at lot like this (but not as pretty). She rambled on about being a school teacher and going to go live with her sister somewhere because she had been fired. She would speed up to 65-70 and then get engrossed in telling some story and slow back down to about 30-35. Why I stayed in the car with her as long as I did, I have no idea. Maybe I was thankful to have a ride at all. After we passed Louisville, she began having trouble staying in her lane as well. I asked to be let out at the next exit and she pulled over to the shoulder in the middle of no where to let me out. I explained that I needed to get to an exit ramp and she might get a ticket for stopping here. We rode on in silence for another ten minutes before we got somewhere. She was insulted and I was scared. She wasn't really sure where she was driving to and asked me to help her with a map before she left me. We figured out she was on the wrong freeway and probably a hundred miles in the wrong direction. Lord knows if she ever got where she was going. Real romantic, huh? This was one of the songs I had on my cassette tape (but it was probably the Kingston Trio cover of the song)

No comments: