Saturday, February 27, 2010

Odd Jobs, I've Really Lost Count


After I graduated to day time accounting jobs, I took a job with Volunteers of America, which ran all these service sites around LA county to provide half-way houses for youth offenders getting out and homeless shelters and meal programs for the elderly, etc, etc. There were about twenty different locations and they decided they wanted an inventory system. Guess who got to go. And guess what day it was. KCRW used to devote the entire broadcast day to the reading of the book. So I spend one wonderful day driving and listening, taking breaks to go in and set up the inventory stuff and then coming back to Joyce and the sunshine.
All roads lead to this book- call me if you've not read it, I'll coach you, I'll help you. There's also some wonderful lectures about it by Joseph Campbell, who was a Joyce scholar as well as a expert on mythology.

F. Scott Fitzgerald's Copy of Ulysses

This copy of Ulysses by James Joyce was presented by the author to F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1928. The inscription reads:
"Dear Mr. Fitzgerald: Here with is
the book you gave me signed and
I am adding a portrait of the artist
as a once young man with the
thanks of your much obliged but
most pusillanamous guest.
Sincerely yours James Joyce 11.7.928" 


This is the end of the book:

No comments: