Monday, February 15, 2010

More BS (Fondly Recalled)

The drawing is of Sentinel Peak at Camp Whitsett up above Kernville, drawn about 10 years ago, the first summer we went. You are supposed to get up at three in the morning and hike up to the top in time to watch the sun rise. The first year the Scoutmaster and I got there about nine. As I began to get back into shape, I got a little faster. It's a fun summer camp. The first year my kid was so excited that I barely saw him. He ran from thing to thing. Earned 7 merit badges in five days, which I think is still the Troop record. I did spy on him taking the test to get his swimming badge, sure that he was going to drown or fail, but he did neither. I played chess with the waterfront manager every summer I went. We played water polo and did the Cope Course which is climbing around a rope course thirty feet in the air and exiting by a zip line. I started taking one Merit Badge class with my guys each year. We did Wilderness Survival and Canoeing and went horseback riding and I started drawing again after a eight year hiatus. We did our first backpacking trip out of here.


This lake was usually green and brown by the time we arrived in August. The guys threw up every year as we were coming down the mountain on our way home. There was a traditional place to stop by the road so they could heave their breakfast of leftover candy.

No comments: