Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Weddings I have Written

Years ago, a friend called and asked me to get ordained in a mail-order church, so that I could conduct their wedding ceremony. Turned out cool. I wrote a little something, the bride and groom wrote their own vows and we did it. It was over in the valley (San Fernando) for those non-LAers, at the groom's mother house. The food was wonderful. The bride was Brazilian and her friends cooked. The groom worked for Bon Appetite and they cooked. Had a hotsey totsey art photographer and music and flowers done by the bride. And the next day, I was in the the car, listening to KCRW and the DJ described the wedding and said it was the coolest one he had ever been to.

Well, I get to do it again in Portland. My nephew is marrying. They sent me this whole big ceremony, which I'm in the midst of rewriting in my own words (mostly to give it flair and drama) but keeping it in the same structure and the vows they wanted. It will also help me to learn it. Writing a marriage ceremony is not an easy business.

Maybe there will be a video to put up here.
I bought a new suit and everything.

It's also hard to write about God and sacred stuff if you don't agree with the words themselves. I believe in things, just not with those christian words that make martyrs and bigots.

No comments: