Friday, October 16, 2009

IWOSC






http://www.iwosc.org/

I just went on their site and tried to subscribe to their on line group in yahoo, but it can't be found. I've visited their table at several book fairs in the last few years and repeatedly signed up to do stuff with them, but no one has ever contacted me. They are not doing a Writers' Workshop which I offered to do several times. Apparently they have an informal group that meets on the westside once a month.

I had gone once a few years ago to a Writers' Workshop that they were charging for, although the meeting I went to was free. It was at some woman's house up in Westwood and the group of maybe 20 people were being critqued by a Playwright that was faculty at USC and had some success with production of his plays I guess, though I've never seen one. Can't find his name. Anyhow it was deadly. No one else spoke and this guy was holding forth on prose and all. He let one woman read for nearly 30 minutes, on and on, with this horrible boring piece and then proceeded to NOT tell her how deadly it was. I was glad I wasn't paying money.

It was sad. Anyhow, I don't recall seeing any writers or authors at their table in the past, it just seemed it was older women that weren't too organized and not very outgoing.

They were there last year for the LA Times Fair:

Independent Writers of Southern California    Booth 428
P.O. Box 34279 Los Angeles CA 90034
1 (877) 79-Write (799-7483)
www.iwosc.org
Professional development for writers

They want $110.00 a year to start. Ya wonder what that pays for exactly. Their web site is pretty dead.

Excuse me while I nap.

No comments: