Wednesday, October 28, 2009

GLAWS and LA Times Book Festival


I traded emails with old Tony Todaro at GLAWS yesterday and basically told him what I've posted here, that it wasn't a fun experience sharing a spot at their booth last year. I received two emails back at the end of the conversation which he cc'd to 5 people the first time and then 6 people the second time. I hadn't cc'd anyone on my mail to him, maybe I should have included my old aunt Mable. This is the first time in my life I've ever received a first draft and a second draft of a canned response letter. And he rewrote it in only 15 minutes. I suppose he didn't think he had sent the first one.

I won't bore folks with the whole thing, bur basically he said:

"I was not there Saturday, but Sunday I spent most of the day well out in the sidewalk where I held meetings with the presidents and officials of other writer groups. I had my own agenda, looking at the big picture and future of the society, and only went into the booth when someone approached me with an issue needing personal attention — or my aching back was about to break."

Which was obvious- I think Obama stopped by to shake his hand and Ray Bradbury rolled by in his wheel chair and told him to keep up the good work. Of course, Ray says that to everyone. I didn't really read anything that said they had a different game plan. He also encouraged me to get more involved to make the organization a great one. In my old age, I really only join things if it serves my purpose or I think its a worthy cause. I've donated weeks of my time to the Boy Scouts long after my son got his Eagle because its fun and I'm not being told what I can and can't do, like I'm a nearly sixty year old child. (Of course, I am) 
Why on earth would I want to devote time to a self-serving non-responsive group?

No comments: