Thursday, October 22, 2009

GLAWS Reaction




Look what I found: (Above- does the membership hire this firm?)

I had posted my flyer up to the GLAWS Bulletin Board a bit ago. I'm a member. I guess I can't compete with the organization I am a member of. Me thinks this is getting absurd. Why should they people care if there is another table or not? Am I cutting into their profit margin? I thought this was a non-profit endeavour. I thought GLAWS was a non-profit organization for HELPING Writers. 

Makes it kind of hard to recommend this organization to anyone.
Oh, did I mention I participated at their table last year and was shafted on my time and found myself out on the sidewalk passing out flyers because the GLAWS recruiters wouldn't let the people walking by get to my table.


Here's what they said:



Hello mcnay,
The following is an email sent to you by SarahBeach via your account on The Greater Los Angeles Writers Society. If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:
ntodaro@glaws.com
Include this full email (particularly the headers). Please note that the reply address to this email has been set to that of SarahBeach.

Message sent to you follows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Dan,
This is to let you know that your post with the request for people to share a booth at the Festival of Books has been removed, at the request of GLAWS President Tony Todaro.
This is because your post basically competes with GLAWS' own plans to have a booth for members to sign and sell at.
I'm not sure how aware you were that GLAWS does indeed secure a booth for such purposes (they have done so for the last two years).  Sign-up for author slots won't take place until after the New Year, but the organization has already paid for the booth.
I realize that there are not at present posted guidelines about the appropriate etiquette for such things.  As a new administrator, I'll be working on coming up with such.  In the future, please double check with the message board administrators, or with Tony Todaro.  Our concern is to continue building the public image of GLAWS in a consistent fashion.
If you have any questions regarding this matter, please feel free to email me at slbeach@scribblerworks.us.

Cordially,  Sarah Beach

Message Board Admin and Acting Recording Secretary.


No comments: