Saturday, May 28, 2011

Scary Times

One of the scariest days of my life was the first day in New Orleans, with backpack and very little money. The difficulty of finding a place to stay was hard. Would I be taken by someone and be penniless? The trip out on the road had a whole devil may care thing going on with it. You were on your way somewhere. You talked to the people who gave you rides. Now you were here. You knew no one. Had less. What was to happen to you?

My bear son is looking for an apartment back east as we speak. He's hopefully not as scared as I was. He's got a job lined up and parents with credit cards. Shouldn't be too unsurmountable. Still, I know its scary.

New Orleans was ultimately kind to me. The first place I applied for a job- hired me. I made friends eventually.

No comments: