Monday, November 16, 2009

Stevenson and all that


Well, I did it today. I've been working for three years on this novel and researching it longer because I also did a screenplay years ago about Fanny & Louis when they first met and fell in love. I took my entire five feet of books and moved them all to the top shelf in my studio where I hope they collect dust and rest for a long time. I'm within about ten or fifteen pages from finishing the final draft and won't need anything but my little notebook I'm been keeping for notes and things that I keep forgetting, like my main character's name in Samoan. When I'm dead and gone some book dealer will love it. Collections is where it's at. You can sell the good stuff for lots and fill up your 10 cent table with the rest. Everyone loves you. The family gets rid of these old stuffy worn books that no one will read.
 

He looks relaxed now. (This is John Singer Sargent's portrait, you can tell by the colors) Still reading Christopher Morley- he made mention that he, like most of his generation, had a Stevensonian period in their writing style. His generation was Anderson and Dreiser, Stevenson's children.

No comments: