Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What we miss

For those that don't know me, I've developed type 2 diabetes in my almost old age, but I'm managing it ok. One little pill a day and no carbs to speak of. But there are things you have to take off the list of things you can have:

At The St. Francis Hotel they would bake these fresh every morning and we would go down to have breakfast in the employee cafeteria after working all night and have an omelet made to order with real hash browns from real potatoes and top the whole thing off with one of these, still warm.
(I won't even start with the real carbs that I don't do any more, like potatoes, rice and bread and pasta)
 
When I was twenty, on payday I would go and get a large one and a pitcher of beer (the place didn't card) and finish it all off by myself and burp.

Junk food of choice for years and years. (Is there a pattern developing here? Did I do this to myself?)
Don't answer that.

This was my lunch of choice when I was home with the kids. I figured out a way to have one recently. You buy no sugar added ice cream, go for a bike ride for 20 miles in the morning, come back and microwave the ice cream until its this and eat. Have vegetables and meat for dinner and then drink a lot in the evening.
It just don't taste right with Splenda and the fruit juice has a ton of natural sugar. You could probably do it with the bike ride described above.
And:

I gave these up ten years ago. (I started with this brand, by the time I quit and I was smoking the lowest tar and nicotine brand on the market) There was a young guy today at the crossing by work that was lighting up one of these in a dark brown box and I had a sudden flash of the taste just before pedaling off on my six mile bike ride home. 
I still dream about these.
There's that donut waiting for me in heaven. 

No comments: