Tuesday, March 2, 2010

No Writing Tonight or last night

Little bears have a way of intruding. Went to the Boy Scout Court of Honor last night and of course had to stay for the whole thing. It's turned into a lot of silliness which is why the troop has grown so large. The scout master now requires a great dramatic smackaroo on Mom from the Scout with every rank advancement award and they have ribbons for the Moms to wear that the kids' Mom pins are pinned to. And there has to be photos taken of each and every kiss. Gave out Personal Fitness Merit Badges to two boys and got my 10 year service pin. My backpacking buddy is still there every Monday night. I watch him talk to the little kids. His son has moved on from the troop like mine. One afternoon, I was sitting doing watercolors with him and he said he missed being able to be swung around in the yard by his Dad. (He's as tall as his Dad now, as is mine.)  I should tell him next time I see him that his Dad and I both miss being able to swing kids around in the yard. I guess I'll be back camping with them before long.
My not-so-little bear calls from NYC and wants to know if I'll take a look at his paper on Aristotle before tomorrow (it's due tomorrow) so I'm editing (only slightly) the thing. Asked my whizz kid "Editor" that is still at home if she wanted to do it, but couldn't get her on board. Not a bad paper. He thinks, doesn't believe in himself enough to know and realize that he thinks in areas that somehow belong to the old man. I smattered philosophy over so many years with ins and outs and happenstance readings, I didn't really want to tell him I didn't remember what I should have read and didn't. Read Plato. And Suzanne Langer. (A lot of Suzanne Langer) A little Aristotle, a little Confucius, a little Apollonian and those little satyrs from Fantasia, a little Calvin & Hobbes, a little of the guy that leap to his faith off the World Trade Center, and the guy that the novelist John Gardner liked (I read "On Moral Fiction" I think)  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

which little bear in the picture am I ?

-Allie