Friday, March 26, 2010

Weird Places I Have Lived

When I came to Los Angeles, I was following my wife who had come here to take a job as a mother's helper to a rich Sikh woman who had just had a baby. She had brought our daughter with her from where we lived in Tucson. She had rejoined the Sikh religion while we were there. We were have trouble finding a place to live that we could afford and were offered a room in a house that was a Sikh single womens' ashram. I smoked tobacco and ate meat, but not on the premises. Had an interview with this dude
over why he thought it was necessary to give every one new names (like my daughter). He was the guru and not very bright - he had been a professional wrestler in India before immigrating to LA. He told me that United States people didn't know who they were and America was a great melting pot. All the women were given kaur as a second name and all the men were given singh. I was known to the community as Dan-singh.
I learned about yoga, which I do now regularly.
Anyhow, the Sikhs do not believe in cutting one's hair, so at night it looked like this around the house
which I didn't mind in the least bit, being the hair idiot I am. The house broke up because one woman went to India and another moved back up north to her boyfriend and my wife and I found a gig being apartment managers.

No comments: