Monday, November 14, 2011

The Very First One

This is the song of mine that the band has been playing for a while. Gail loved it, thank god. It was the first one that I wrote. It was really a failed poem that had never worked The band embellished the chords a bit and I edited it down. I played it for the first time at Doug's house jam in Long Beach. And there was silence after I played & sang it. I announced it as the first one, after. Hell, I know what I got, no matter how raw. I'm thinking maybe, this is what I was supposed to be doing all along.
Little Sister Words Dan McNay,
Music Rhubarb Meringue Pie

You remember her; you saw her long ago,
Out in the lobby in a crowd and all alone,
With her hand outstretched and her face aglow,
As if your change would buy her fare to heaven.

She was born in a big house, had big house ways,
She had everything she could want or need.
Then Daddy fell from a window in a drunken daze
And they had to give up everything they owned.

 CHORUS
She will always follow the good looking guy
With the beard and the twinkle in his eye,
The one who talks of wisdom and then who sighs
And brings her on his own bus if she doesn’t cry.

She went to college to run away from home,
But she was always fat and always alone,
She didn’t want to marry, didn’t want to roam,
And she would pray in secret late at night.

She was an angel in Monterey
Who gave a poor boy her smile
She said I had a very old soul
As old as the hills we climbed

So what did she find in the Krishna dance?
What was real in the fog of the old sweat lodge?
The guru was the knight of the last chance,
And all of us just want to arrive

CHORUS

Repeat first stanza

1 comment:

Rosaliene Bacchus said...

Dan, congrats on your new artistic venture as a song writer. Loved the lyrics but the sound video production didn't do it any justice.

Happy Thanksgiving!