Thursday, June 2, 2011

Planning for the Backpack

I can do better than this. It looks like a lot of carbs and the same food every day. This is for seven days for one person. I'm doing 4 complete days (3 meals plus snacks) for four people so far. I can't do the carbs cause I'm diabetic. And I hate eating the same thing day in and day out. So I'm doing the REI freeze dried meals for two for two of the dinners, foil pouches of Chicken Breast and /or tuna steaks with added stuff the other two. Breakfast is oatmeal, or cream of wheat and oranges, Lunches are peanut butter and jelly and/or tuna and crackers and apples. Carrots wear well. As do summer squash- slice and fry them. I buy my jerky and my gorp from Costco and build my own gorp (cause I can't have the M&Ms the rest of world can eat. Bread is what will survive in a backpack. Bagels, tortillas, Ritz Crackers, pretzels do well. Those little packets of ketchup, mustard, pickle relish and mayo and soy sauce can do wonders. I can do vegan and vegetarian and high carb for the jocks. Hard Salami, hard boiled eggs, fruit cups that don't need refrigeration are great things to have. And cookies. And Rum, now that there aren't any Boy Scouts going along any more.

I've been doing this for eight years now. I do all the planning and all the food. And my buddies like me just fine. I keep thinking I'll write a camping cookbook one of these days, but I never will. This trip to the Grand Canyon has three days of car camping and car camp cooking which is a whole lot easier.

We're going in from the North Rim and down to the river and then back out the same way. I wanted to go before I got too old to do it and I thought it would be the last one with my two bears for awhile, but its me and a buddy and his son and two of his son's friend this year, Oh well, I'm doing this for me mostly.

 Gonna be here with my food a week from next Wednesday.

No comments: