Thursday, June 23, 2011

New Old Bike

When my tired old bike died a year and half ago, I looked around and decided that I couldn't afford a $1,000.00 bike right now (then). So I ordered a bike from an internet mail order firm for $250.00. It's worked ok, except that it was made very cheaply and made noise and now creaks badly every time I get on it. So, I started looking on Craig's List, thinking of something else. A guy had a 60CM bike for sale in Carson. So I tooled off there at lunch time. He had sold the one he advertised, but in the back of his pile he had a 65CM Peugeot that is/ was about 25 years old. The frame was still in one piece, so for $100.00 it was mine. I had a new derailer, new chain, new tires put on and the handlebars taped. I added a water bottle holder with pipe clamps from Home Depot. It feels like I'm a grown up suddenly with a grown up bike that actually fits my oversized mcnay frame. Still working on getting used to it. It has the very old style brake handles and a set of narrow (by today's standards) racing handlebars. I've not quite figured how to ride it up my 1/2 mile hill on the way home, but I'll get it eventually. It looks better that the thing here, but it feels good. And it doesn't ache like an old rocking chair.

No comments: