Tuesday, November 19, 2013

How very odd and cool

Just got off the phone with a friend I've not spoken to in 40 years. We were soul mates in 1972. I went off hitchhiking to New Orleans. He went to college. The lives lead have wandered all over kingdom come. We read books and talked poetry and adventured. I sat in coffeehouses and tried picking up girls while he performed on guitar. We went off to his family's roots area to collect folklore and his cousin had a crush on me, but she was only 14 or something. We were both friends with a married couple that lived in those old married student trailers and that's a story that could be written down some day.
We read books
  They all thought I was Jude. I forget who was supposed to be Narcissus and who was supposed to be Goldmund. We talked about canoeing down the Mississppi (or at least I did) Bob helped me to figure out the chords to the only song I ever learned to play on that first plastic banjo that I carried off to New Orleans later. (In this incarnation of my life, I went back to that song when I could figure out the chords by myself)
It was just the same. He told me it was too bad I didn't live around the corner so we could go for walks and talk like we used to.
We are still those two kids- very very cool.


No comments: