Wednesday, June 13, 2012

To Yoga Or Not To Yoga



Well, I checked out another Yoga class tonight. I was going to a Sunday morning class in Santa Monica which was beginner level and mellow and slow- been going for a couple of years now, since the teacher I followed all over LA went back to Argentina. Indira, and very small Armenian girl with a big mouth made me smile, so I was loyal, but the Sunday morning music gigs are cutting into the same time, so at most I'm going once or twice a month. So I decided to look for something in between work and home on a work night. I ride my bike most days (only 6 miles each way) so in a perfect world I would ride after work to yoga and then ride home after. The one place I started had a weird guy that had his shtick and it had to do with very formal ways in which to use your blanket and your block and my favorite teacher in the world was a dancer and free form (the lady in Argentina), so this was not it. This was a funky little place on 83rd in Westchester so it was actually on my route on the bike. So I decided to check out Playa Vista- which is a trendy condo community in the watershed between the Marina and Westchester on top of the hill. The first one was a Power Flow, which I couldn't keep up with at all and the teacher obviously didn't want me there, because I was old and unable to keep up. The second one was this ninja guy that was going to teach me how to balance because I could do some of the stuff. I explained to him that I've never really had good balance ability and its gotten worse now with old age where these loose particles in your ear canal actually can make you nauseous. He didn't relate. So I tries once more. They move much too quick- and do in 15 minutes what I was taking 30 to do in the Sunday morning class, but part of me thinks, well, maybe if I went for a while, it might force me into a better place. There's a third place over by the Ralph's that has a 6:00 pm class. I think I'll try that one.
The basic requirements: Good looking women that are not so young that they look at me like I'm their grandfather. Something that changes up every time and has surprises. And a loud mouth girl teaching the class. Or a wise kinda of shy Argentinan that looks like I feel when I'm playing music. And the most important thing- getting to the here and now with the breathing, and feeling my muscles smiling after I make them stretch. (The biggest plus of all: being able to randomly jump up to my toes when I'm on my hands and knees- how many 60 year old men can do that?) 

No comments: