Monday, May 14, 2012

Four Years from now

This was a comment I received: Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Noble calling that: Teaching people to write": I once played guitar for a pick-up band put together by a friend of mine. We played country music backup for one show with a woman who'd been to Nashville 3 times and paid good money to 'self-publish' the CD's at about $3,000-$4,000 per disc. She was not a good singer, but had a fantasy that she could make it big and was planning a 4th trip back to make another CD. I gently took her aside and gave her the rundown on how the unscrupulous recording studio was taking advantage of her. She looked shocked, but understood. However, to this day, I still wonder if I really did her a favor. I saved her some money but killed her dream. I guess we can't save folks from having dreams about being great singers or writers, but it's good for the con artists to know someone is watching.

Me again:

This whole blog is chock full of come-ons, let downs- even trying to built a coop table at a book fair was a disaster.

Now I'm spending the same amount of energy- somewhat the same amount of money and we have a band and we play at least a couple of times a month. And I'm having fun and showing off. I'm gonna run with this til it runs itself in the ground and in four years I'm going be sitting on Venice boardwalk playing for spare change for maybe the rest of my life.


No comments: