Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Night

Decided I'm going back to the open mic at The Talking Stick. The thought was that there were a couple of folks performing there that are writing their own songs. Maybe, if they are interested, I can get a little duo or trio going of songwriters that would back each other up to play original songs. It became apparent Friday night, that Rhubarb Meringue Pie will never willingly play my original songs. (Primarily, because I may be the only member of the group that practices our material.) Also, it is hard for me to take criticism from people who do not write songs. A little helpful direction is fine for I am still a beginner musically, but come on. Most critique groups, (and I've been in thousands now it seems) usually just tell you how they would do it if they were doing it. All groups get to a certain level and the group develops a standard which is not really anything but the level of the water you treading. Friends can be just as deadly. Listen for the: "I know you are doing your best , but..." If I wanted my songs critiqued there are plenty of groups out there to go to. Even classes in how to write a song. I'm almost 59 years old, I have no time to sit and be taught anything (unless work is paying for it.) If I've learned anything ever, its the realization that you'll never be successful joining these groups that promise you seminars and exposure and rules to follow to succeed. I'd rather have fun. 

No comments: