Monday, April 25, 2011

Animals I have known #1

We had an old dog when I was little. His name was Flea-Bite. They must have gotten him for my oldest brother and by the time I was conscious enough to understand the concept of dog, he was already old. He didn't bark that I can remember and he didn't play much. He was just a mellow old dog. We had a big wooden dog house in the back yard, but he seldom used it. He came and went inside and out like the rest of us. He did like the cat. We had a gray and black tabby cat named appropriately "Tabby" that used to stretch out across the dog's back. Later, after Flea-Bite was no longer with us, the cat would stretch out on my back as I lay on the floor to watch TV. We adopted a stray little lassie looking dog that immediately got pregnant from a German Shepherd that came from somewhere to bound over our fence to get to her. I recall the bounding part. She had six German Shepherd puppies and our basement got a major infestation of fleas. And or mange or god knows what. Lassie (we were highly creative with names) and Flea-Bite didn't survive and all the puppies were given away but one.
Its important to have a grandpa dog around. If for no other reason than to rest your head on while you read comic books.    

No comments: