Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The next morning

I played at O'Brien's on Main Street on Tuesday night and though I went on an hour later than I was told I was playing, I was jazzed because I got this guy's group to stick around and listen to me.
Now, later, I probably wouldn't go back. The guy that booked the evening had no control over the performers. The two girls that played the first two sets were fine. They got on and did their thing in the allotted time and got off. This guy wnt on and turned his 30 minute into an hour set and was obviously so into himself, he couldn't see me sitting there with my banjo out.

Its one thing to play on if there is nobody there, this was something else. And he did this, pointed like he was a rock star or something. I've seen his sort all over the place. Full of themselves, playing rather well, and singing songs that you can't remember the minute they are over with a voice that you can't remember when that's over either. But they think they are Eric Clapton. You know them by the sunglasses.

The performance area is in the back room, and there's a curtain that can be closed in the doorway that apparently blocks the sound. When the two girls were on, the music drew people back. For this guy they closed the curtain, I guess so the people in front couldn't hear him. I inherited his closed curtain.

I'm really conscious of closed doors. The little coffee house over in West LA I was playing at for a little while had people going by outside. So I tried to open the door and started drawing people in. The owner kept going over and closing the door.

I keep thinking I could do a better job than most of these idiots I meet booking people. I proposed to Westchester that I do their music. I'm seriously looking for a venue to do this in.

No comments: