Friday, May 13, 2016

Knowing too much too soon

au·to·di·dactˌôdōˈdīdakt/
noun
a self-taught person.
Do you know how hard, how easy this is? I'm watching my relatives and friends home school their kids. Having done it on my own, forever, for myself, I wanted to make sure my kids had the skills NOT to do it on their own. I taught myself computer and accounting skills and then created a fictitious Bachelors degree to get jobs. And then when they could check, had to disappear any reference to a degree. There are major steps you miss in doing this. My music is a case in point. I am succeeding on the basis of a decent singing voice and a very high ability to pick really quick, the rest of it, theory, sense of everything I'm only now trying to learn. The same applies to everything. If you home school, you are robbing them of how to schmooze, how to understand how to succeed in the real world out there. You are robbing them of theory, the way society thinks it should be done. For what reason? To protect them from what? You have to arm them. Having stumbled my way through life, being really smart and really stupid simultaneously, I really wish there had been someone to say: here is the path- take it.
Perhaps there was, but I didn't hear anyone say that. My kids heard me say it.

No comments: