Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The DragonFly

So I answer a come-on on Craig's List for a gig at The DragonFly downtown Los Angeles, thinking it will be one of these local people that will want you to sell tickets to get to play. I get a call from a lady in Cleveland. She describes herself as a hothouse flower of a booker and she may talk crazy, but she will always be true blue. So here's the deal. I'm invited to show up on July 8th. (Like a Wednesday night.) I do not have to sell tickets, but those who sell the most will get to pick their 40 minute slot. So you don't find out your slot until the night of. So I'm supposed to get my peeps down there to hang out all night long to see me. As if any of my peeps will really go downtown on a week night to see me do anything. I say ok, but I would prefer to know the slot. Part of me wants to try out these things for material for the book I'm starting next year about trying to play music at sixty. But, I've already been there. The fucker that booked me into the House of Blues, wasn't going to put me on, he brought in some unscheduled guy to steal some time before me. The floor manager at the Room made him cut him short and put me on. (I was scared shitless anyway. I made it through, but I got to say I did it.) Anyway, I know this would just be more of the same crap. If  they did let me play at all. Anyway. the girl wanted to know if I was Irish because she was. I told her the joke about how I was so Irish I was raised so I could beat up my father to protect my mother later. That went over like a ton of bricks. No beating in her Irish family I guess. Anyway I got a packet in the mail with about 30 $10.00 tickets with my name on them. I'm thinking -Jesus, I didn't sign anything. Are they coming after me later for $300.00? Anyway, I mailed them back to my Irish Princess saying I wasn't participating. The thought had occured to me that I could ask for the first slot, which no one would want, play my 30 minutes and go home. But I got lots of slots that have a better ambiance than this. And lots of slots that I did do when there was nobody there. Got to look for the possibilities.

No comments: