Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The guy at The Airliner


Weell, I thought this would be cool. I've been sort of collecting the old clubs. So I show at the time the guy emails me to show. He's not there. There is a bartender and two girls in the bar who were there for happy hour and the two guys that were supposed to meet them there didn't show. My wife came. We sat out in the back patio and had a drink. The stage is rhis little narrow space in the front bar that faces the bar, no seating in front. So the dude shows. He wants to know where my amp is. I tell him I understood he had a couple of mics and a PA, so I didn't bring anything. He asks where are my people? I guess the people he was expecting me to bring in. I said I wasn't sure I had anyone coming. He says, well, maybe I'll wait a half hour to set you up and we'll see who we get. I asked when is the next act, - he says at nine. He had promised me 40 minutes which now has shrunk to 30 and I get to sing to two girls and he can't be bothered?  I tell him to forget it and we leave. Bad vibes, bad little hole in the wall bar, and they probably haven't touched their equipment in ten years. Don't bother showing up here. I've played the Tripp in Venice twice and there's a friendly sound guy and people in the place even on a bad night.

Anyway, I played 2.5 hours Sunday at a Farmers Market and got tips and saw friends and they liked me.Much more fun than being able to say you played The Airliner.

No comments: