Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Boy was I out of my depth

The House of Blues last night


So, the info sheet and agreement I got said to show at six and set-up and sound check at 6:30 and I go on at eight. It was made out that I was the opening act for the headliner. 45 minute set. I show up at six. They are setting up the "house band."  The info said you could rent the house band to play behind you. Which I didn't intend to do. The two lady singers that did rent the house band played each a half hour set. Generally lame jazz songs, although the second one was a little better because it seemed there were a couple of original songs in her set. My sound check was just plugging in my banjo pick-up to make sure it worked. There was a kid there, probably about 18, that turned out to be booked for the same slot as I was. 
(Also, always introduce yourself to the sound guy, learn his name and make friends. He's the one that came over to tell me about the situation with the double booking.) So the kid and I get together and figure out that we will each get a half hour and I'll go first. 
Nothing at all from Ace, the promoter, about this. Earlier on, I asked him if I was getting my 45 minute set, and he said if everything goes smoothly. Then, at eight, when I'm supposed to go on, he puts a sax player in front of me for a song. 
I get my half hour. There were about 60-70 people in the room. All standing, I had practiced all week singing to an empty chair. No empty chair to be seen. A wall of people in front of me. One of my friends leaves because of the noise level and the crowd. The applause was cool, this great roar after each song. 


So I'd recommend staying away from Ace Michaels Entertainment. While the paperwork did say they would only guarantee a 15-30 minute set, this was not the way it was presented on Craig's List. And I do believe I have an email confirming my 45 minute set. It's also apparent, you get better treatment if you hire the house band, but they were just old jazz musicians. The guy double booked me and the kid in the same slot and he brings this dude on in my time to do one number. Real unprofessional.


The after party with my friends, They took the cotton candy home to a brother.  

2 comments:

Janet Boyd Art said...

Keep on truckin man!

Anonymous said...

I'd say you came out ahead on this one. Look at that crowd!

Having been doing this for decades, I've found that the venues will double book a "backup" in case the crowd doesn't respond positively to one of the performer's music. People that leave because they don't like the music don't buy drinks, so the bar owner is hedging his/her bets by making sure they have someone to step in if the wheels fall off. Hope you continue to have fun!