Tuesday, September 4, 2012

How I spent my Labor Day Weekend


A little excitement around my house.All three bears showed up and we had a couple over Saturday night for cards and the kids coming and going. Our friends left around 10:30 pm and we walked them out. I recall telling the dog she couldn't go. (I've trained her to come out into the front yard with me and not to cross the curb, but she's getting senile) Anyway, we said goodbye, came in, cleaned up and went to bed. I awoke at six the next morning realizing some how that the dog was not in the house. I searched the snoring kids rooms and outside. The only thing we figure is that she went out anyway by pushing the screen door open the night before. She was gone. I drove around and around the neighborhood for at least three - four hours, we posted signs, we contacted the pound. Went out again in the evening and emailed the Boy Scout Troop and put it up on Facebook and was giving flyers to the folks out rifling our trash for cans - offering a reward to them. We took a break and went to the beach. The neighbors were out looking.
Monday morning I drove one bear down to meet her friend for brunch and to catch the bus back up north, so I decided to run by the pound on the way home. (My wife had already gone the day before and left them info and a picture) It was closed. Came back and looked again.
At work, me youngest one who is at home for a week or two yet, gets a call. Someone had found her and called the pound and they had given her number to my daughter. All from the tag number on her collar. She drove down to get her in Lawndale and brings her home. We've called to thank the lady, but haven't had a chance to hear the full story yet. My daughter understands the woman found the dog near LAX where she works and drove her to her home in Lawndale. The dog looks tired. She's sixteen and has cataracts and is deaf. She was glad to be home. I feed her string cheese (her favorite) and petted her more than I did all last week, I think. 

1 comment:

Rosaliene said...

Only now learning of your dog's disappearance. Glad it ended well. She looks sad in the photo.