Thursday, November 25, 2010

My Wife Thinks I'm Getting Morbid

I was reading a Wikipedia entry for David Foster Wallace and wondering if its worth it to dip into his novels and found and interesting site: http://www.findagrave.com/  which led me to this. This is in Bordentown where Richard was born. His father and one brother and Jeanette (his sister) are there too. For those that don't know, this is a major hobby horse: helenadekaygilder.org  I received email from a guy back east that had found the Helena site and was offering his info about the De Kay family and where her brother and father was buried as well as her grandfather (Famous Poet - Drake- "The Culprit Fay" early early American poetry)  The journal that Richard & Helena kept in the early years of their marriage (which I've finally found in readable form and have read) describe planting trees for the two of their dead children - one died before he was a year old and the second was stillborn- I guess it wasn't here at Bordentown (there were a few children that lived between these two deaths) .

Having found this, I went looking for Joseph Dwight Strong Jr. but had no luck thetruthabouttreasureisland.com He's got to be in San Francisco or Oakland, then I started looking for others and found my step-father but none of my own family. Then I realized that I'm to blame. The cemetery I owned for a brief time had no digital photos and I didn't take any. The records were all on Lotus Symphony (remember it was state of the art for accounting in the day) because that's what I had to transcribe it to from my father's restaurant napkin records. I just wasn't planning for the future.

Apparently, there are folks out there driving around taking photos of grave markers just like there are folks driving around taking pictures of whole neighborhoods for Goggle Maps drill downs at street level. My house how appears on Google Maps with a basketball hoop out front that hasn't been there for 4 years.

What to do while waiting for turkey.

  

No comments: