Friday, August 21, 2020

Going To Yellowstone

 I took off early on Saturday morning for my trip to Yellowstone. Originally, there were to be a bunch of us and I was driving to bring gear and food up for our trip. It ended up just me and my son made the trip. Anyway, I drove out of LA and made Las Vegas by lunch time, stopped at Wendy's or some such and then filled up and drove on. Made really good time. I was expecting to be in St George Utah by 3 or 4 and had a room reserved at the Dixie Motel. I had told them I'd be there by five to be on the safe side, when they emailed me for a time of arrival. I get outside St George by 40 miles and the entire freeway slows to about two miles per hour. Nothing! I was approaching a little corner of Arizona there I immediately wondered if they had closed the state border for some ungodly reason. Still we inched along. I called the motel to ask them if they knew of something along the highway that would hold us like this. They didn't know, but told me the Gorge where we were trying to get through had a lot of accidents. I called my wife in LA. She looked it up and texted me about a huge fiery crash between two semi s. The phone connection wasn't good, but I could hear her but she couldn't hear me.

Two big trucks had collided. 

So we inched along for miles. I called the Motel back to tell them it might be real late before I got there. Would there be someone to let me in. She said she lived there so just ring the bell when I got there.

They moved us all off the Freeway to a turnoff that would take us across forty miles of a little country two lane highway to St. George. I watched as some of my fellow travelers thought and treated the little highway as if there was no two way traffic on it. We all made it through. I got there about six and went into the room asap, dead tired.

Didn't see the Gorge until I returned the other way coming home. Well worth the concern.

 

No comments: