Thursday, May 1, 2014

Song At 11:00

The newest song, Even got a chorus, but you don't get to see it yet, Got to muscle these words into a standard uniform meter. I wanted to include the real singer of the family into the new Cd, but she got a big big voice, so I thought I'd write the song and let her sing it, maybe with a little banjo behind. I was telling a friend, the secret to song writing is to figure out the chord progression and sing it over and over to yourself until a melody appears.
I'll keep you posted.
(there's already three verses here -all of seven lines)
Really, if you want to write songs read Thomas Wolfe, he wrote millions of sentences all in Iambic pentameter.
.
LAYING FLOOR

for my Alexandra at three



She’s learned a new word,

After a week of wood laying and barricades.

Swollen hands have lifted her beyond

Mastic, the tongue and groove of patterns

Undone, and the machines that growl and grind,

To set her again upon her feet

In a further room.

She knows, even now, she doesn’t like it,

Dangling head and arms over the gate,

She howls like a hungry saw

At the ill-fitting pieces.

“Soon enough,” I tell her,

And then again, “Soon enough.”

But she has little time.

When the barricades come down,

She races from room to room

To catch up with herself,

Before beginning to tiptoe over the finished wood.

She has some sense, I know,

If asked how she likes her new floor,

She will squat and point and smile.

No comments: