Sunday, December 15, 2013

Styron and the lost prize

So, with Christmas and with War and Peace over, I read Sophie's Choice in three weeks. I was Stingo, I had lived in a small apartment in New Orleans, exactly like the apartment described in the book- different city.. I had upstairs neighbors I was friends with. Sophie sat in my apartment and talked to me. The book is lovely, real and I couldn't put it down Styon is troubled always. I could not watch the movie for a good year and a half because that's not how Sophie looked. And the apartment wouldn't have looked like my apartment. The Confessions came shortly afterward. I can recall finishing the book at a little hotel on Geary Street where I moonlighted (actually daylighted- I was working graveyard full time at the St. Francis Hotel)) as a morning desk clerk and was brought to tears and got all choked up behind the desk in the empty lobby of this little hotel.

You should read all of Styron. I plan to. I think I have three left. There's still plenty of time
 The books let you know how troubled he was. The photo makes you realized what he overcame to live.

He shoulda won a Nobel. 

No comments: