Thursday, May 13, 2010

Venice at 5:00AM

I was divorced and living alone (well with the hamster that was left behind, but he stayed up all night and ran in his wheel and went to bed when I was getting up) but was on a schedule of waking up at 5:00 AM because I was used to helping with our daughter and getting her and us ready to go off for the day, but now there was nothing to do for 2 hours. So I started teaching myself to surf.
It was fun for a little while (I have given away my car to her who left) but it seemed it was more of an adventure to get over to the water than to actually get into the water and there were dead days when there was no surf. And I didn't really connect - the guys out there were all ten years younger. Then I took to riding over and running. Had a running partner for a while, then she married and ran off to Utah. (I didn't find out she had gotten married until six months later when I got into a casual conversation with another rider on the 436 bus downtown. -That was how I met her. I had just figured she liked her privacy- still wonder if the kiss goodbye after the morning run was followed that day by her wedding.)

I got real healthy doing all of this. Had actually quit smoking shortly before divorcing. Then decided I would ride my bike some 50 miles to South Coast Plaza for a long weekend and start to write a play I had in my head. Was stuck and went down to the lobby and bought a pack to unstick me and it was soon all over and I was back to a pack a day.

The early morning in Venice is still the best time of the day. The criminals are all sleeping it off. There's absolutely no tourists. And Sidewalk Cafe used to open fairly early.

No comments: