Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The miracles of modern medicine

Sunday night my hands began to swell and by Monday afternoon I was trading off holding one and then the other on a full ice tray to keep the itching and aching at bay. By Tuesday my face began swelling and I soon was covered in rash. Went to the ER this morning and two shots later, I'm on my way home and by noon all the rash is gone and my botox face has pretty much returned to normal. Now to the Sherlock Holmes task of figuring out what I'm allergic to: The sheep skin that friend brought me from New Zealand that I was trying to get the spot out of? A change in the amount of laundry soap I had used to do clothes and towels? A tick bite from taking a dog to the dog pound Saturday morning (which was a very emotional outing for me, not to mention the dog), The pomegranate seeds I had in a salad Saturday? Or that I was spraying all the dog spots out of the carpet with Spray & Wash Friday night and then in the middle of night awakened for some ungodly reason,went out and absent-mindedly sat in one of the spots on the carpet to flip the TV for a half hour?
We rewashed everything. At sixteen, I discovered I reacted to strong detergent by putting to much soap into a cleaning vat for root beer mugs at an old A & W Drive-in where I worked. My feet swell up when the
carpet is shampooed.
I 've always blamed my one summer bout with hay fever on the break-up of my first marriage as well as the hay field in front of our house that they mowed three times that summer.

So maybe its all of the above.

No comments: